Current:Home > MarketsAfghan refugee convicted of murder in a case that shocked Albuquerque’s Muslim community -Infinite Edge Capital
Afghan refugee convicted of murder in a case that shocked Albuquerque’s Muslim community
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 02:45:43
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — An Afghan refugee has been found guilty of first-degree murder in one of three fatal shootings that shook Albuquerque’s Muslim community during the summer of 2022.
Jurors returned the verdict Monday.
Muhammad Syed faces to life in prison in the killing of 41-year-old Aftab Hussein on July 26, 2022. He also will stand trial in the coming months in the other two slayings.
During the trial, prosecutors said Syed was deliberate in his actions. They presented cellphone data that showed his phone was in the area when the shooting occurred and that casings and projectiles recovered from the scene had been fired from a rifle that was found at his home.
Defense attorneys argued that prosecutors had no evidence that Syed was the one who pulled the trigger. They said other people who lived in Syed’s home also had access to his phone, the vehicle and the rifle.
Syed declined to testify in his own defense.
The three ambush-style killings happened over the course of several days, leaving authorities scrambling to determine if race or religion might have been behind the crimes. It was not long before the investigation shifted away from possible hate crimes to what prosecutors described as the “willful and very deliberate” actions of another member of the Muslim community.
Syed, who speaks Pashto and required the help of translators throughout the trial, had settled in the U.S. with his family several years earlier. Prosecutors described him during previous court hearings as having a violent history. His public defenders argued that previous allegations of domestic violence never resulted in convictions.
Syed also is accused of killing Muhammad Afzaal Hussain, a 27-year-old urban planner who was gunned down Aug. 1, 2022, while taking his evening walk, and Naeem Hussain, who was shot four days later as he sat in his vehicle outside a refugee resettlement agency on the city’s south side.
Authorities issued a public plea for help following the third killing. They shared photographs of a vehicle believed to be involved in the crimes, resulting in tips that led to Syed.
Syed denied involvement in the killings after being stopped more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Albuquerque. He told authorities he was on his way to Texas to find a new home for his family, saying he was concerned about the killings in Albuquerque.
The judge prohibited prosecutors from directly introducing as evidence statements Syed made to a detective while being questioned. Defense attorneys argued that Syed’s rights were violated because the detective, through an interpreter, did not adequately inform Syed of his right to a court-appointed attorney.
Police officers and detectives who testified during the trial told jurors about arriving at the scene and finding Hussein lying next to his car with multiple gunshot wounds, from his ear and neck down to his legs, with exit wounds in his feet.
Prosecutors showed photos of Hussein’s bullet-riddled car and said the victim was killed nearly instantly.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Arizona Democrats attempt to repeal the state’s 19th century abortion ban
- Call Her Daddy Host Alex Cooper Marries Matt Kaplan in Intimate Beachside Wedding
- Divided Supreme Court wrestles with Idaho abortion ban and federal law for emergency care
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Pacers' Tyrese Haliburton says brother called racist slur during NBA playoff game
- Video shows Florida authorities wrangling huge alligator at Air Force base
- Guard kills Georgia inmate at hospital after he overpowered other officer, investigators say
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Former Louisville pediatrician pleads guilty in murder-for-hire plot to kill ex-husband
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Inside Kelly Clarkson's Most Transformative Year Yet
- Mount Everest pioneer George Mallory's final letter to wife revealed 100 years after deadly climb: Vanishing hopes
- Stock market today: Asian shares track Wall Streets rally, led by a 2.4% jump in Tokyo
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- What is record for most offensive players picked in first round of NFL draft? Will it be broken?
- IndyCar disqualifies Josef Newgarden, Scott McLaughlin from St. Pete podium finishes
- Philadelphia 76ers' Tyrese Maxey named NBA's Most Improved Player after All-Star season
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Biden administration expands overtime pay to cover 4.3 million more workers. Here's who qualifies.
Jill Biden praises her husband’s advocacy for the military as wounded vets begin annual bike ride
Christina Applegate Suffering From Gross Sapovirus Symptoms After Unknowingly Ingesting Poop
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Columbia says encampments will scale down; students claim 'important victory': Live updates
Michigan student dies 'suddenly' on school trip to robotics competition in Texas
Indiana man accused of shooting neighbor over lawn mowing dispute faces charges: Police