Current:Home > FinanceNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Infinite Edge Capital
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 18:41:01
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- The Latest: Harris visiting Nevada and Arizona while Trump speaks in Michigan
- A former DEA agent is convicted of protecting drug traffickers
- NFL Week 6 picks straight up and against spread: Will Jets or Bills land in first place Monday?
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Stanley Tucci Shares The One Dish Wife Felicity Blunt Won’t Let Him Cook for Christmas
- Sum 41's Deryck Whibley alleges sex abuse by ex-manager: Biggest revelations from memoir
- Officials work to protect IV supplies in Florida after disruptions at North Carolina plant
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Who went home on Episode 2 of 'The Summit' in chopped rope bridge elimination
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- This Garment Steamer Is Like a Magic Wand for Your Wardrobe and It’s Only $24 During Amazon Prime Day
- Mountain Dew VooDew 2024: What is the soft drink's Halloween mystery flavor?
- Who went home on Episode 2 of 'The Summit' in chopped rope bridge elimination
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Democrats hope the latest court rulings restricting abortion energize voters as election nears
- A former DEA agent is convicted of protecting drug traffickers
- Seven NFL coaches on hot seat: Who's on notice after Jets fired Robert Saleh?
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Honda recalling almost 1.7 million vehicles over 'sticky' steering issue
Sister Wives’ Christine and Janelle Weigh in on Kody and Robyn’s Marital Tension
Garth Brooks Says Rape Accuser Wanted to Blackmail Him for Millions Amid Allegations
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
16-year-old bicyclist struck, driven 4 miles while trapped on car's roof: Police
When will Nick Chubb return? Latest injury updates on Browns RB
Opinion: College leaders have no idea how to handle transgender athlete issues