Current:Home > MyChainkeen|‘ER’ creator Michael Crichton’s estate sues Warner Bros. over upcoming hospital drama ‘The Pitt’ -Infinite Edge Capital
Chainkeen|‘ER’ creator Michael Crichton’s estate sues Warner Bros. over upcoming hospital drama ‘The Pitt’
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:38:31
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Chainkeenestate of Michael Crichton, who wrote the screenplay for what became the pilot episode of “ER,” has sued Warner Bros. Television over a dispute about an upcoming medical drama it says is a rebranded version of an unauthorized reboot.
After Crichton’s estate, led by his widow, Sherri, could not reach an agreement with the television studio to produce a reboot of the famed medial procedural, the lawsuit alleges Warner Bros. proceeded to develop and produce a series based on the same premise without consent.
The upcoming series, titled “The Pitt,” will be a medical drama set in Pittsburgh, as opposed to “ER’s” Chicago setting, and will feature Noah Wyle in a starring role. Wyle is best known for playing John Carter on “ER” in over 250 episodes.
“The Pitt” is also set to include several “ER” alums behind-the-scenes, including John Wells as the executive producer and R. Scott Gemmill as the showrunner. Wyle, Wells and Gemmill are each named defendants in the suit.
Because of Crichton’s success with projects including “Jurassic Park” and “Westworld” before “ER” was developed, he secured a coveted “frozen rights” provision in his contract for the series. The provision prohibits Warner Bros. from proceeding with any sequels, remakes, spinoffs or other productions derived from “ER” without Crichton’s consent, or his estate’s consent after his death from cancer in 2008.
“If Warner Bros. can do this to Michael Crichton, one of the industry’s most successful and prolific creators who made the studio billions over the course of their partnership, no creator is safe,” a spokesperson for Sherri Crichton said in a statement to The Associated Press. “While litigation is never the preferred course of action, contracts must be enforced, and Michael Crichton’s legacy must be protected.”
The estate, which filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, is asking the judge to issue an injunction that would force the studio to stop production on the new series, and they are also seeking punitive and compensatory damages.
Warner Bros. began developing a reboot of “ER” for HBO’s streamer, Max, in 2020 without Sherri’s knowledge, according to the lawsuit.
In 2022, when Sherri Crichton was informed of the developing project, she and the estate engaged in negotiations with the studio, through which she says she was promised that Crichton would get a “created by” credit, backed by a $5 million guarantee for the estate in the event the credit was not given. Ultimately, the term was revoked and negotiations stopped, which the lawsuit states should have ceased all development of the series.
Development continued on, and “The Pitt” was announced in March. A release date has yet to be announced.
“The Pitt is ER. It’s not like ER, it’s not kind of ER, it’s not sort of ER. It is ER complete with the same executive producer, writer, star, production companies, studio, and network as the planned ER reboot,” lawyers representing Crichton’s estate wrote in the lawsuit.
The lawsuit also alleges that Warner Bros. had previously tried to “erase” Crichton from derivatives for his work by downgrading his credit in the 2016 series based off his movie, “Westworld,” from “created by” to “based on,” which they say started “a disturbing pattern.”
Warner Bros. Television has not yet issued a statement regarding the lawsuit.
veryGood! (66736)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- South Dakota governor, a potential Trump running mate, writes in new book about killing her dog
- Crew members injured during stunt in Eddie Murphy's 'The Pickup'
- Florida man involved in scheme to woo women from afar and take their money gets 4 years
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Jim Harbaugh’s coaching philosophy with Chargers underscored with pick of OT Joe Alt at No. 5
- Don't blame Falcons just yet for NFL draft bombshell pick of QB Michael Penix Jr.
- Cost of buying a home in America reaches a new high, Redfin says
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Myth of ‘superhuman strength’ in Black people persists in deadly encounters with police
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Takeaways from AP’s investigation into fatal police encounters involving injections of sedatives
- Jon Gosselin Reveals How He Knows Girlfriend Stephanie Lebo Is the One
- Woman pleads guilty to being accessory in fatal freeway shooting of 6-year-old boy
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Freight train derailment, fire forces Interstate 40 closure near Arizona-New Mexico line
- American arrested in Turks and Caicos after ammo found in luggage out on bail, faces June court date
- How Taylor Swift Is Showing Support for Travis Kelce's New Teammate Xavier Worthy
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Watch smart mama bear save cub's life after plummeting off a bridge into a river
Los Angeles Rams 'fired up' after ending first-round pick drought with Jared Verse
Astronauts thrilled to be making first piloted flight aboard Boeing's Starliner spacecraft
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Matthew McConaughey, wife Camila Alves make rare public appearance with their kids
2024 NFL draft picks: Team-by-team look at all 257 selections
Gold pocket watch found on body of Titanic's richest passenger is up for auction