Current:Home > FinanceMan charged with hate crimes in Maryland parking dispute killings -Infinite Edge Capital
Man charged with hate crimes in Maryland parking dispute killings
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 19:16:57
A man accused of killing three people and injuring three others in June over a parking spot dispute outside a home in Maryland's capital city will face hate crime charges, prosecutors announced Monday.
Maryland prosecutors have filed hate crime charges against Charles Robert Smith, 43, who is accused of fatally shooting three Latino people on June 11 in a residential area of Annapolis, Maryland. Smith was initially charged with second-degree murder but according to an indictment returned by an Anne Arundel County grand jury on Friday, he now faces first-degree murder and hate-crime charges in the killings of Mario Mireles, his father Nicholas Mireles, and Christian Segovia.
The 42-count indictment includes three counts of first-degree murder, three counts of race crime resulting in death, and six counts each of attempted first-degree murder, among other charges, the Anne Arundel County State's Attorney's Office said in a statement Monday.
Smith remains in jail without bond, according to the state's attorney's office, and his next court appearance was scheduled for July 31. Two of Smith's initial lawyers are no longer representing him, and it was unclear Monday who his new attorney was.
Maryland’s hate crime law applies to crimes that are motivated either in whole or in substantial part to another person’s race, color, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability or national origin. It enables prosecutors to add years to a sentence, and financial penalties.
Smith faces up to life in prison without the possibility of parole if he is convicted of first-degree murder.
An 'interpersonal dispute'
Annapolis Police Edward Jackson had previously said the shooting stemmed from an “interpersonal dispute" and involved two weapons − a long handgun and a semi-automatic handgun.
The six people who were shot were attending a large party at the Mireles' home when an argument broke out between one of the victims and Smith's family over a parking issue, according to police charging documents.
While arguing with Shirley Smith, her son, Charles Smith, returned home and confronted Mario Mireles, the documents said. The argument turned physical and Smith pulled out a gun and shot at Mireles and Segovia.
Smith "then stood over Mario Mireles and shot him several more times," the document adds. He then retrieved a rifle from his house and started firing through a window at people who were trying to help the victims.
Smith fatally shot Nicolas Mireles, and wounded Rosalina Segovia, Paul Johnnson, and Enner Canales-Hernandez, police said. When police arrived at the scene, Smith surrendered and told responding officers he shot the victims because they fired at his house.
But according to the charging documents, none of the witnesses interviewed saw any of the victims with a firearm.
Alleged shooter had history with victims
According to court documents, Smith's family and the victim's family have had a history of disputes.
The families have lived on the same street for years and have gone to court over allegations of racial slurs against one of the victims. In September 2016, Mario Mireles sought a peace order petition and accused Shirley Smith of harassing him and their Black neighbors since he was a child.
In the petition, Mireles wrote that while he was washing his car in front of his house, Smith drove fast by him about an "arm length away," saying he believed she was "targeting" him with her car. Smith also sought a peace order petition and accused Mireles of hitting her car with a large wet towel or blanket.
The judge denied both their petitions.
Contributing: Natalie Neysa Alund, USA TODAY; Associated Press
veryGood! (474)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Banana Republic’s Outlet Has Luxury Fall Staples Under $60, Plus Tops & Sweaters up to 70% off Right Now
- Federal criminal trial begins in death of Tyre Nichols with more than 200 potential jurors
- The Latest: Trump and Harris are set to debate in Philadelphia
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- From Amy Adams to Demi Moore, transformations are taking awards season by storm
- Firefighters battling wildfire near Garden State Parkway in southern New Jersey
- New Jersey Democrat George Helmy sworn in as replacement for Menendez in the Senate
- Sam Taylor
- Field of (wildest) dreams: Ohio corn maze reveals Taylor Swift design
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Judge tosses suit seeking declaration that Georgia officials don’t have to certify election results
- Books like ACOTAR: Spicy fantasy books to read after ‘A Court of Thorns and Roses’
- MTV VMAs: Riskiest Fashion Moments of All Time
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- When do new episodes of 'SNL' come out? Season 50 premiere date and what we know so far
- Diddy ordered to pay $100M in default judgment for alleged sexual assault
- James Earl Jones, acclaimed actor and voice of Darth Vader, dies at 93
Recommendation
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
'American Ninja Warrior' Vance Walker on grueling back-to-back victories: 'So difficult'
How to measure heat correctly, according to scientists, and why it matters
Francine gains strength and is expected to be a hurricane when it reaches US Gulf Coast
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Most students in a Georgia school district hit by a shooting will return to class Tuesday
15-year-old North Dakota runaway shot, killed in Las Vegas while suspect FaceTimed girl
Arizona’s ban on transgender girls playing girls’ school team sports remains blocked, court says