Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Florida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult -Infinite Edge Capital
Fastexy Exchange|Florida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 02:39:43
ORLANDO,Fastexy Exchange Fla. (AP) — A 17-year-old suspect in a shooting that killed two people and wounded seven others during a Halloween celebration that drew 75,000 revelers to the streets of downtown Orlando, Florida, last week has been charged as an adult, a prosecutor said Monday.
Jaylen Edgar was charged as an adult with two second-degree murder charges and a count of attempted murder, though the case will be presented before a grand jury, which could decide to up the charges to first-degree murder, said State Attorney Andrew Bain.
“This decision was not made lightly, and only after reviewing all the available evidence,” Bain said at a news conference in Orlando.
Edgar is accused of opening fire during a Halloween street celebration that drew tens of thousands of costumed revelers to downtown Orlando’s bar and restaurant district early Friday. Besides the two men who were killed, an additional seven people were wounded and a woman was trampled as people fled in terror, according to the Orlando Police Department.
One of the Halloween celebrants killed and another who was injured were students at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.
Edgar was tackled at the scene by some of the 100 police officers who were patrolling downtown Orlando.
Among the factors that went into the decision to charge Edgar as an adult were “the brazen nature of the crime” and the fact that multiple people were shot, the prosecutor said.
“To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime,” Bain said. “This was a blatant execution in the middle of our streets, and so that’s something that we can’t have in our community.”
There was no online court docket for Edgar so it couldn’t be determined if he had an attorney. Moreover, the case originated in juvenile court, where records are not public. An email to the Orange County Public Defender’s office seeking information was not immediately returned Monday.
Bain wouldn’t disclose whether authorities knew of a motive and said detectives were still determining how he obtained the handgun.
The Halloween celebration, which is one of the biggest events in downtown Orlando each year, took place about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Orlando’s tourist district, and it primarily attracts central Florida residents.
In response to the shootings, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer last Friday issued a local state of emergency for the downtown entertainment area. Under the weeklong order, alcohol sales will end at midnight, and a curfew will be enforced from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
During past Halloween celebrations, police would close off downtown streets and use dogs to screen for weapons as people walked past entry points, but they stopped doing that after Florida lawmakers passed a permit-less concealed carry law in 2023.
veryGood! (72)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- This is Your Sign To Share this Luxury Gift Guide With Your Partner *Hint* *Hint
- Kevin Costner says he hasn't watched John Dutton's fate on 'Yellowstone': 'Swear to God'
- Burger King is giving away a million Whoppers for $1: Here's how to get one
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Voters in Oakland oust Mayor Sheng Thao just 2 years into her term
- Video shows Starlink satellite that resembled fireball breaking up over the Southwest: Watch
- Blake Shelton Announces New Singing Competition Show After Leaving The Voice
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Video shows masked man’s apparent attempt to kidnap child in NYC; suspect arrested
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Olivia Culpo Celebrates Christian McCaffrey's NFL Comeback Alongside Mother-in-Law
- What that 'Disclaimer' twist says about the misogyny in all of us
- Watch as massive amount of crabs scamper across Australian island: 'It's quite weird'
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Tesla Cybertruck modifications upgrade EV to a sci-fi police vehicle
- As US Catholic bishops meet, Trump looms over their work on abortion and immigration
- What that 'Disclaimer' twist says about the misogyny in all of us
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Shaboozey to headline halftime show of Lions-Bears game on Thanksgiving
Saving for retirement? How to account for Social Security benefits
Candidates line up for special elections to replace Virginia senators recently elected to US House
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Sting Says Sean Diddy Combs Allegations Don't Taint His Song
Klay Thompson returns to Golden State in NBA Cup game. How to watch
Elon Musk responds after Chloe Fineman alleges he made her 'burst into tears' on 'SNL'