Current:Home > ContactA sci-fi magazine has cut off submissions after a flood of AI-generated stories -Infinite Edge Capital
A sci-fi magazine has cut off submissions after a flood of AI-generated stories
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:16:20
The science fiction and fantasy magazine Clarkesworld has been forced to stop accepting any new submissions from writers after it was bombarded with what it says were AI-generated stories.
The magazine officially shut off submissions on February 20 after a surge in stories that publisher and editor-in-chief Neil Clarke says were clearly machine-written.
"By the time we closed on the 20th, around noon, we had received 700 legitimate submissions and 500 machine-written ones," he said.
"It was increasing at such a rate that we figured that by the end of the month, we would have double the number of submissions we normally have. And that the rate it had been growing from previous months, we were concerned that we had to do something to stop it."
Clarke said the magazine wasn't revealing the method it was using to identify the AI-generated stories, because it didn't want to help people game the system, but he said the quality of the writing was very poor.
Artificial intelligence has dominated headlines in recent months, particularly since the launch of ChatGPT in November. The chatbot can answer a broad range of questions, but also create original poems and stories.
Microsoft and Google have since announced their own chatbots, in what is shaping up as an arms race to be the industry leader. And everyone from tech experts worried about misuse to university professors seeing its potential have sought to adapt.
Clarke said magazines like his, which pay contributors for their work, were being targeted by people trying to make a quick buck. He said he had spoken to editors of other magazines that were dealing with the same problem.
"There's a rise of side hustle culture online," he said. "And some people have followings that say, 'Hey, you can make some quick money with ChatGPT, and here's how, and here's a list of magazines you could submit to.' And unfortunately, we're on one of those lists."
Clarke said the magazine didn't yet have an answer to how it was going to deal with the issue, and part of the motivation to speak out was in the hope of crowdsourcing some solutions.
And no, the irony of his sci-fi magazine being targeted by robots is not lost on him.
"I mean, our mascot's a robot. So, you know, we kind of see the the humor," he said. "But the thing is that science fiction is quite often cautionary, and, you know, we don't embrace technology just because it exists. We want to make sure that we're using it right.
"And there's some significant legal and ethical issues around this technology that we're not ready to accept."
veryGood! (213)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Ravens' record preseason win streak to be put to the test again vs. Eagles
- Fiction writers fear the rise of AI, but also see it as a story to tell
- Police conduct 'chilling' raid of Kansas newspaper, publisher's home seizing computers, phones
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend reading, watching and listening
- Indiana man indicted in threats made to Michigan municipal clerk following 2020 election
- Johnny Manziel says Reggie Bush should get back Heisman Trophy he forfeited
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- New study finds playing football may increase risk of Parkinson's symptoms
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Al Michaels on Orioles TV controversy: 'Suspend the doofus that suspended Kevin Brown'
- Lahaina, his hometown, was in flames. He looked for a way out. Then he heard the screams.
- Move over, 'Barbie': Why 'Red, White & Royal Blue' is the gayest movie this summer
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Turkish investigative reporter Baris Pehlivan ordered to jail — by text message
- As death toll from Maui fire reaches 89, authorities say effort to count the losses is just starting
- Extreme heat drives Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs to declare state of emergency
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Some 3,000 miles from Oakland, A's fans' 'Summer of Sell' finds another home
How to watch 'The Changeling' on Apple TV+
How an obscure law about government secrets known as CIPA could shape the Trump documents trial
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
The birth of trap music and the rise of southern hip-hop
Former MLB slugger José Bautista signs 1-day contract to retire with Toronto Blue Jays
Kings and queens gathered for 'Hip Hop 50 Live' at Yankee Stadium